I was in church the other day and the choir was practicing before the service in the sanctuary. The worship pastor’s button fell off of his blazer and he couldn’t find anyone with a needle and thread, so he went without. OH, MY! Just before church too! No biggie, right? Right. If he found a button somewhere and put it on his coat it would be mismatched. That would not look very good and I believe it is a mismatched idea that someone would think that looked OK. So, now you know where I am going with this? Keep reading.
After the worship part of the service, the choir came down into the sanctuary and before the pastor began preaching, God whispered something to my heart. “Leah, you know how Garth wouldn’t want to mismatch the buttons on his coat when he puts a new button on…? Well, make sure and tell people that there shouldn’t be any mismatched of ideas in their Christian walk either. Some things do not go together and shouldn’t be together. Whether it is a mismatched button on a coat or mismatched ideas about Me and their Christian walk with Me.”
I sat there in amazement. I haven’t really heard God speak to my heart like that … that clearly … in a while. I just smiled. Yep. That is how God speaks to my heart. He just lays it out there and uses some every day event to compare with my walk – or your walk – with Him. I love it! I get so excited when God whispers to my heart like that. Sometimes, it has taken a little bit more than a whisper though. He does know how to get my attention in a much stronger way, if He has to. This time, He didn’t have to. I made my notes before the service started and waited until now to write about it. I miss writing every night for y’all. It usually does me much more good than it does you, probably. Sometimes, life has just gotten in the way in the last few months but hopefully things will begin to level off and I can do this again more often.
So… the Christian walk. The mismatched ideas in the Christian walk. I wrote about one the other day in the post “SO MANY ARE MISLEAD”. If you would like to read that, click the title and it will take you right to the post. What are some mismatched ideas of our Christian walk? Let’s see… how about
- I can be married to a non-Christian person and be OK (This is where I personally have some experience). This does not work. You must be matched in that you believe the same things about the foundational things. Foundational things are:
- God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit = the Trinity.
- God created the entire Universe and all that is within it.
- God created man and all that in on the earth.
- God Was and Is and Is to Come! He has no beginning and He has no end. He was before and will always will be.
- The Bible is the Inspired Word of God. It is true and living. The things of the Bible are applicable today as they were since it was written.
- The Bible was written by common men inspired by the Holy Spirit called to do uncommon things. You cannot take parts of the Bible and believe and the other parts discard as not true. It is to be read and accepted completely as the Word of God.
- Jesus was born of a Virgin (who was Mary) and was raised by her and His earthly father Joseph.
- When Jesus walked on the earth He was fully God and fully man.
- Jesus lived a sinless 33 years on the face of this earth.
- Jesus chose 12 disciples from the common men to be His companions and to teach them about Himself and Heaven and all that He was sent here to do.
- Jesus was sent from Heaven to be our example.
- Jesus was crucified on the Cross and died to save the world from their sins.
- Jesus rose again on the 3rd day and is seated at the right hand of the Father in Heaven.
- Jesus was seen by over 500 people before His ascension into Heaven.
- Jesus will come again to take us home to live with Him when God the Father tells Him “Son, go get My children”.
- When Jesus comes to take us to our Heavenly home, the people that did not believe in Him or accept Him as Savior and Lord will be left on the earth and not go to Heaven with us.
I have probably left out some things, but that’s a good start. Understand me here … that if you do not have the fundamental belief things in place, there will always be an issue between the two of you. Now, I am not here to give marital advice by any means, it’s just that I have lived this kind of turmoil and it is a destroyer of a “happy marriage”. I promise you. That is why God’s Word says this:
16 Others, testing Him, sought from Him a sign from heaven. 17 But He, knowing their thoughts, said to them: “Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation, and a house divided against a house falls. 18 If Satan also is divided against himself, how will his kingdom stand? Because you say I cast out demons by Beelzebub. 19 And if I cast out demons by Beelzebub, by whom do your sons cast them out? Therefore they will be your judges. 20 But if I cast out demons with the finger of God, surely the kingdom of God has come upon you. 21 When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. 22 But when a stronger than he comes upon him and overcomes him, he takes from him all his armor in which he trusted, and divides his spoils. 23 He who is not with Me is against Me, and he who does not gather with Me scatters.
And this scripture
14 Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness?
I have written in red the main part of that scripture. Now, I know you may think your marriage is a kingdom, and it may very well be, but this mention of “Every kingdom divide against itself…” is not necessarily talking about a kingdom with a king like used to rule the land when Jesus was alive. But it is appropriate. The kingdom of God is the church and the “church” is the people that believe in Christ. So, if you are a Christian and you are married to a non-Christian, then your “kingdom” is divided against itself.
Now, like I said, I am not trying to be a marriage counselor here and give advice. I am strictly stating what the Word of God says. Yes, there are marriages that survive when one person is a Christian and one is not. However, is surviving all God calls us to? You decide.
Now on to another topic…
- Science and Christianity … yep, they actually complement each other and do not conflict with one another. There is a great book that I read entitled “I Don’t Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist” and in that book it talks about the wonders of Science and it goes hand in hand with Christianity and the beliefs that Christians believe. The first few chapters are a challenge to get through, well, at least it was for me, but it is a phenomenal book and every Christian ought to read it so they can see why they believe what they believe. It explains it very clearly and succinctly. I recommend it. That is the 2nd conflicting or mismatched idea… that Science and Christianity cannot and do not belong together. They do! As I said, they complement each other!
- You have to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ to be saved not… “I can be a good person, doing good, helping the poor, giving to charities, living a clean life and not rob, steal, or cheat and still go to Heaven.” This is a belief that will get a person in trouble quickly. Some believe that they are a Christian because of what they “DO” which is totally incorrect. In Ephesians Paul tells us that a person cannot be saved by what they “do”. Here is the scripture:
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.
I found a very interesting website to go along with this belief. The first link will take you to a quick little question and answer test. Easy to do and be totally honest. After you answer honestly, all the questions, listen to the video also. It is VERY compelling and it just might change your life. Here is the link to “The Good Person Test”. Next, please watch the video below the test. If you like, here is the link to that as well – WhatStandard.com.
These three things – conflicts or mismatched ideas – that I have listed above are just a small – a very small part – of a much longer list. For time sake I will not continue this post but may continue it on another post. However, you see how important having matched ideas are if you are a Christian? If you claim to be a Christian, and you have mismatched ideas, I suggest that you pray about them, consult with your pastor, a Christian friend or someone whom you know is a Christian and be totally honest with them about your beliefs. Then wait and see what God can do in your life.
God loves you so much and doesn’t want you to be confused, have mismatched ideas or anything that will keep you from living in eternity with Him. He sent His Son Jesus to save you from yourself and all your sins. He is the only one that can do that. John 3:16 says…
For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but shall have everlasting life. And also this one…
25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live.
So, you see, God loves you so much! He doesn’t want you or anyone else to go to Hell and not live with Him in eternity. After all, He calls you His beloved.
The Song – He Will Rescue Us – Greg Sykes
The Video – He Will Rescue Us – Greg Sykes